Monday 28 October 2013

An African Feast in Port Douglas 2013

What once started as a small fundraising idea at my workplace after returning home from a trip to Africa, this year turned into a fundraising event supported by my local community helping to raise funds for the East African Mission Orphanage and Familia Moja Children's Home, both in Kenya.

It was on the night of the 12 October 2013 at the Port Douglas Community Hall, that the inaugural 
'An African Feast in Port Douglas' was held!





This year, I wanted to share 'the feast' with a larger audience and in turn not only raise more funds but create more awareness of the issues facing these organisations every day, many of which we take for granted.

Having never organised something of this scale before, I was nervous and very aware of the fact that if this was something I wanted to continue each year, it had to have that 'WOW' factor and connect with people in a way that they knew their contribution was making a difference.

With high expectations of myself, and knowing what I wanted to achieve, it was important to me to make the event a stand out and show the community something different. For people to want to come back next year and tell their friends, it had to be special and have an impact in a way that people didn't expect.

I aimed high. I wanted to host up to 250 people, have a sit down 'feast' consisting of an all-African menu cooked by some of Port Douglas' finest chefs. I wanted to include local businesses and highlight their products and services, have a 'mystery box' competition with up to 100 prizes, provide African drummers and entertainers and have an atmosphere that was not only professional but fun. 



In a nutshell, the past 6 months have been crazy! Never could I have I imagined the magnitude of things to consider when putting something like this together. Without any idea on budgets, costs involved, coordinating the entertainment, developing the menu, designing posters and brochures, starting the Facebook page, recruiting chefs, organising and hiring equipment, finding suppliers AND looking for businesses to donate items for the 'mystery box' competition it was safe to say.... I felt well and truly out of my league! 

With all that worry and excitement rolled into one, finally the night was here! 


As guests entered the room, the cool reggae tunes of Cairns & Koah based group 'Koahlition' helped set the scene for what was going to be a very special night. With stories told of Familia Moja & the East African Mission Orphanage by myself and Jess, guests were also in for a chance to win some fantastic prizes from some of the regions finest resorts, restaurants, boutiques, attractions, trade services and tourism operators.




With the feast about to begin, nobody knew what they were in for as the entrĂ©e hit the table. Guests were treated to a selection of spicy lamb kofta's, Moroccan chicken skewers and vegetable samosas all accompanied by a tangy mango chutney and the ever delicious Mungalli yoghurt.

After another funky set by Koahlition, it was now time for the mains to be served! As the bowls and platters came flying out the kitchen there was a huge array of African dishes to choose from including a goat curry, cous cous, dukkah baked mackerel, kuku paka (chicken curry), bobotie (minced lamb), chapati , roasted root vegetables and rice, all ready to tamper with everyone’s taste buds.



After a small presentation and video on Familia Moja and the East African Mission Orphanage by Jess and I, guests were finally able to see how what we were doing, as small as it may seem, would not only change their lives of these children, but that too of their entire communities.



The 2013 EAMO update - A Better World, Canada



Familia Moja - The Volunteers - A short doco by Stella Maynard, Bridget Ikin and Matilda Brown


The experience that I have gained in the last 6 months has been invaluable. I have been totally overwhelmed by the support given to me by not only my friends and family but local businesses. It has encouraged me to further make 'the feast' an annual fundraising event that the community can support for hopefully many years to come.

Those who know me, recognise it's hard for me to hide the passion I have for Africa and in particular helping these two organisations. The things I have learnt in my travels have had a lifelong effect on me and I can only hope that by sharing my experiences that they too can have an impact on someone else. 

In the years of doing the feast, I have learnt that even the smallest of gestures can have a huge effect on peoples lives on the opposite side of the world. Although, in my mind, what I am doing is so small in comparison to the work that these guys do on a daily basis, I am still well aware that every little bit makes a difference.  



It is only now that I can sit back and say to myself that whilst I may not have achieved all the things I set out to, what I did was amazing! To have managed to do what I did, I showed myself that next year can only be bigger and better and with the support I have already received (some of which has come from people I have never met), 'An African Feast in Port Douglas' WILL be back next year and we will continue to raise funds, awareness and not just help individuals but help develop whole communities for the future.

So without further ado.....


I would like to announce that both the East African Mission Orphanage and Familia Moja Children's Home will both receive over $1300 each as a result of the funds raised at the 2013 
'An African Feast in Port Douglas'!

'An African Feast in Port Douglas' would not have been possible if it not for the love and support shown by my friends, family and many businesses. I have made many new friends, learned so much and been shown that my local community has that spirit and determination to help make a change.

Familia Moja and the East African Mission Orphanage will continue to update me on the progress of their projects in which I will pass on through additional posts or via the Facebook page.

Familia Moja Co-founder, Jess White & I. 

I would like to say a HUGE thank the following businesses for their assistance:

The Newsport
The Mossman Port Douglas Gazette
4AM Radio
Port Produce
Port Douglas Seafood
The Henna Hut
Outrageous Fishing Charters
Trinity Sport Fishing
Turf & Garden Maintenance Services
Wonga Foods
Watergate Port Douglas
Sheraton Mirage Resort
On the Inlet
The Junction Cafe - Mossman
Goodies Cafe Mossman
Origin Espresso
Koahlition Reggae Band












For further information on how you can continue to assist 'An African Feast in Port Douglas' or for information on future events, please visit:

'An African Feast in Port Douglas' Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/AnAfricanFeastInPortDouglas?ref=hl 

Familia Moja Children's Home: http://familiamoja.org/

The East African Mission Orphanage: http://www.eastafricanmission.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment